Paint.net online?

Zacariem

Hi

My computers just been taken away at the moment to be fixed (something about the hard drive; way technicle!) I'm using a temperery computer at the moment, so I can't download anything on it. I'm a big Paint.NET user and (yes it's sad) I'm starting to miss it!!! Would it be posible to create an online version of Paint.NET?

OK I know it's crazy and pretty mutch impossible but it could be usefull. Think Free did it!!! (http://www.thinkfree.com)

Thanks (please don't egnor me! It could be done!)

Zacariem!!! :lol:

They said we couldn't fly.

We did.

Anythings possible!

zacariem_firy_sig2.png

The time it would take to reprogram the thing in Java would simply be a waste of resources, and I don't think Java has the required programming elements to do it.

~~

I was actually thinking about doing something similar to this for a tutorial. It wouldn't be funtional, of course, but a person could come to the page and it would look like the Paint.NET interface. Then they could click on a tool and the page body (where the image would be in the PDN window) would display information about that tool or option...

That'd be a grand undertaking, though...

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

A clickbable / interactive tutorial would be pretty sweet. But the whole app? Hmmm okay I'll dump PDN 3.0 dev work and spend the next two years building a web page. No, I don't think so ... no thanks :) (I guess it really would be Paint ".NET" in that case though, ha!)

And I just don't believe it would be very useful anyway. "Wow I have a paint program ... but it's in a web browser. And it's really slow. Why is it using 100 MB of memory for a 800x600 picture? And most of the features I use aren't there. Where does this file get saved? Argh it takes 5 minutes to upload/open my 7 megapixel camera pictures. Goodness!" I think a web page image editor would be best focused on uploading an image, cropping/resizing, and sharing ("hey mom look at my picture ... just click on this http link"). And if I'm not mistaken you can already do that on some websites.

Web page apps have their purpose -- just look at Hotmail or Gmail. They provide the functionality that many people need for casual to medium e-mail use. The omnipresence is also nice, as you can access your e-mail from almost anywhere. For professional use though, something like Outlook w/ Exchange Server is much better, for many reasons.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

HA HA HA! :D You took me down pretty good and pretty fast too!!! Oh well, I'll just have to download it and hope nobody notices!!! Lol!!!

Well, it was an interesting discusion!

Zacariem :lol:

PS: This discussion inspired the text for my sig lol!!!

We did.

Anythings possible!

zacariem_firy_sig2.png

ok sory (its a bit of a habit lol!)

We did.

Anythings possible!

zacariem_firy_sig2.png

You know, CMD, with proper css and overly extensive use of position: absolute, and a good chunk of javascript, it is very feasible.

my best shot would be to make a normal Paint.NET interface using position absolute, many graphics, and too many div's. A background would give the normal and unclickable graphics, like the floating boxes and XP background. And then use div's and absolute positioning to make the clickable elements, then applying the onClick or onMouseOver attribute to create text inside of a div below the entire image with tip text.

~~

then applying the onClick or onMouseOver attribute

:hover.

Pure CSS.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

Oh it's feasible, but big. Capturing the windows, each button, each button's hover state, the menus and their hover states...

Then how about the Colors window? It has two states - Less and More. I guess they could be two different div blocks, and the "Less" and "More" buttons would swap the two.

Also there'd have to be a way to make sure that the center body of the page isn't covered by part of the windows so the explaination is readable. It wouldn't be a problem on my monitor (I have a widescreen screen :D), but how would one handle 800x600?

I was experimenting with it a while ago, but one thing I couldn't figure out with JavaScript was how to make the window positons interactive. You know, you click on the title bar and drag the window around. One, I couldn't get my script to function properly anyway, so I still have questions as to exactly what one can test for.*

If someone clicks on the right side of the title bar, you'd have to catch the offset from the left side so your left:[x]px; would drop the window relative to where they started. Then is there a way to use onmousemove to move either the window itself or an outline of the window around while the user drags their cursor around. I guess a quick way to solve the problem would be to make the positions static, but then again for 800x600, the windows would run into each other and unhappiness would result.

I guess another option would be to have the document window stay like the PDN interface and pop-up an information window with th information on it, but then you run into pop-up blockers...

One thing's for sure. There'd be a lot of questions to be answered before this is started, so I'd know where I'm going with all this.

*Yes, I know I ended the sentence with a preposition. It just sounded stupid the other way around. Forgive me, mighty Grammar Masters!

~ Becoming the Archetype

good point, but how to make the text below appear and disappear? I don't have too much experience in CSS.

~~

then applying the onClick or onMouseOver attribute

:hover.

Pure CSS.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work with IE6 unless it's defined as an anchor. (Or you hack it :).)

~ Becoming the Archetype

Yeah, it was just a (old) troll.

Seriously, you may use AJAX for your Colors Windows trick, instead of hiding/revealing all windows.

Fit such a thing for a 800x600 screen is just impossible because unusable (windows taskbar + browser interface waste size.)

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

Great! Never thought of that! Im going to give it a try later today!

Thanks

Zacariem

We did.

Anythings possible!

zacariem_firy_sig2.png

Yeah, it's something like that, only on a much grander scale. I'd turn the entire interface of Paint.NET into a functional web-page. Each button would be clickable, and once clicked, information regarding that tool would be displayed.

I actually just had an idea while I was writing this... Maybe by monday I'll have something. :D :idea:

~ Becoming the Archetype