How to Install Plugins ×

Selection Tools - Feather, Outline, Bevel, Shadow - Upd: 2015-01-31

• 2 years later...

Hi BoltBait

in your outline selection plugin, you color along the inside line of the selection area.

can you add the option to color along the OUTSIDE line of the selection area , without

the need to inverse the selection ?

question -> can you make any changes to the selection it self or this is something that only Rick

can do in his selection code ?

thank you

Avi

Edited by avim1968

"DDAP=Don't Drink And Post!" :-)

Hi BoltBait

in your outline selection plugin, you color along the inside line of the selection area.

can you add the option to color along the OUTSIDE line of the selection area , without

the need to inverse the selection ?

I'm afraid that is totally impossible.

You see, the Paint.NET plugin system is very strict in regard to the pixels that effects can change. Only selected pixels can be changed.

If you tried to change pixels that are not selected, Paint.NET would not allow it.

This is a limitation of the plugin system itself.

Sorry.

Hi

I see. thank you

so I guess that a plugin that can change a selection area is also not possible , right ?

Avi

No it is not possible.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

thank you.

talking about plugins all the time, makes me want to write one myself,

can some one point me to a place where i can learn how to make my own plugin?

i used to program when i was young, so

a place with a simple tutorial and code examples?

would be great :-)

Avi

thank you.

talking about plugins all the time, makes me want to write one myself,

can some one point me to a place where i can learn how to make my own plugin?

i used to program when i was young, so

a place with a simple tutorial and code examples?

would be great :-)

Avi

Start here: http://boltbait.com/pdn/CodeLab/

Install the CodeLab plugin, then go through the tutorials.

• Upvote 1

Then you could buy the Codelab book - except that I can't convince BoltBait to write it :(

I'd love to see BoltBait write a codelab book - great talent for succinctly explaining - not assuming the reader is an expert but still not patronising.

I'm wonder if Rick/BoltBait could earn a little revenue from PDN's use as both a brilliant graphics program and an educational resource by publishing a small book.

It's certainly less intimidating than Visual studio and gives instantly visible (and usuable) results.

Being nearly 49 >:O , I'm probably not the target readership but 'our' generation had things like the Commodore 64/ Sinclair etc to play with.

I'm sure the kids today must find it hard to get a 'taste' of what programming can do.

And a little understanding of how graphics actually work on computers is useful for artists/ illustrators/ designers/ photographers etc etc too.

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Start here: http://boltbait.com/pdn/CodeLab/

Install the CodeLab plugin, then go through the tutorials.

WOW

what a tutorial !! i could not stop reading it. :smile: !

lucky me i used to program in C. & pascal.

i just need to install the C# on my computer too.

going to play with it and get the hang of it.

i'll post when i'll have something to show too or have a question :-)

Avi

• 1 year later...

@BoltBait:  Thank you for Bevel Selection!

yhsjjie-148.png

• 4 months later...

I'd really like it if Bevel Selection had a wider range. The current limit is 50. Any reason why it couldn't be raised to 100?

Pretty please??

• 2 months later...

V3.5 of the plugin does default the color of the outline to the primary color set in pdn.

oh cool, i do actually have that version installed, i wonder what i was doing wrong?

i was seeing a default black color in the plugin, and yet my primary was brown at the time... although, i have just tested this with a new image and it works perfectly.

Edited by ratty redemption

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
2 hours ago, Pratyush said:

Hi Boltbait, can you combine all these selection tool i.e. outline, bevel, shadow, feather, gradient fill together as a single plugin. they can be very useful under name of styles.

They are combined into a single DLL called SelectionTools.dll and they all appear under a single menu called Effects > Selection.

• 5 years later...
28 minutes ago, geogey said:

why doesn't the bevel selection not work? did i messed up something a bit or no?

"Effects > Selection > Bevel Selection" bevels by following the selection outline (the dashed line).  You have selected the "Keep original alpha" checkbox... therefore the bevel selection will bevel a square and then set the alpha to 0 because you had original alpha of 0 on your selection.

Solution:

Either selection the white areas using the magic wand before running the effect, or run the "Effects > Object > Bevel Object" plugin instead.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BoltBait said:

"Effects > Selection > Bevel Selection" bevels by following the selection outline (the dashed line).  You have selected the "Keep original alpha" checkbox... therefore the bevel selection will bevel a square and then set the alpha to 0 because you had original alpha of 0 on your selection.

Solution:

Either selection the white areas using the magic wand before running the effect, or run the "Effects > Object > Bevel Object" plugin instead.

image.png

• 2 months later...