Photo Manipulation: Lomography

Code_Ember

Simulate the effects of a Lomo camera. Photos taken with a Lomo camera have high contrast, twisted colors and a noticeable vignette. EDIT: Changed picture for Step 7, added picture to step 3

Step 1: Get a photo with a breath-taking scene or still-life. For this tutorial, we will use this photo of a feline preparing to pounce at it's prey.

Step 2: Now go to Effects > Photo > Vignette. Follow these steps on the layer:

-Vignette [0.73;1.00]

Step 3: Duplicate the layer.

duplitut.gif

Step 4: Select the first layer and apply the Black and White adjustment by pressing Ctrl+Shift+G

Step 5: With the first layer selected, apply the Brightness/Contrast adjustment by pressing Ctrl+Shift+C. Follow these steps on the selected layer:

-Brightness and Contrast [-5;53]

(You may want to adjust the brightness if it's too dark)

Step 6: Select the duplicated layer or the one that's not black and white. With the 2nd layer selected, apply the Brightness/Contrast adjustment by pressing Ctrl+Shift+C. Follow these steps on the duplicated layer:

-Brightness and Contrast [-5;53]

Step 7: Now select the 1st layer or the one that's in black and white. Double-click the 1st layer to open layer properties. Follow these steps on the selected layer:

EDIT: Cleaned up mistake.

pngtutorial-1.gif

Step 8: With the first layer or black and white layer selected, merge the 2 layers together. Voila! You have now simulated the effects of a Lomo camera. :D

Edited by Woodsy
Rehosted to Postimage.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/Code_Ember/daredevil_v3.png

Code_Ember passed away on October 25, 2008. The Paint.NET forum staff and members wish his family and friends only the best in this difficult time.

Due to things being unclear at Step 7, make sure the Black and White layer is on top and is selected for the layer options.

EDIT: Oopsies, the layer filter is supposed to be Multiply.

pngtutorial-1.gif

Code_Ember passed away on October 25, 2008. The Paint.NET forum staff and members wish his family and friends only the best in this difficult time.

• 3 weeks later...

Simple and pretty. I like it. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

before

chinaland.jpg

after

lomopic.jpg

i had to adjust the brightness and contrast a bit differently bc it was really dark.. but the end result looks really nice. thxs for the tutorial :)

The image might be wrong because of the last step. I edited it so maybe it will work now. :D

Nah! Code_Ember is safe. No one ever reads the last post on a page. ;)

Besides, he's leaving PdN for photoshop. :-P

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Nah! Code_Ember is safe. No one ever reads the last post on a page. ;)

:wink:

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder.....

Lomo pictures are more than darkening and vignettes......

As I understand.....from other scripts

The red and green channels have their contrast increased. An overall vignette effect is added using a Levels adjustment layer filled with a black-to-white gradient.

The settings for the blue channel are a little different from that for the red and green channels so that blue halos form in skies.

The contrast of the vignette layer is increased and the affected image region is decreased using a Histogram type Adjustment.

Overall we imitate the film used with increased contrast for Reds and Greens and slight reduction in blue channel, with a simple vignette effect added to the corners....Over a bright image with loss on color in the corners due to the lens system on the cameras.....

Could our script better support these ideas....

SigPDN1.gif

• 3 years later...