How to Install Plugins ×

BLP Converter Plugin

Evan Wallace

Just created a file type plugin for loading Blizzard Picture files (*.blp), which are used as textures in Warcraft III and WoW.

If there are any BLPs that you can't load/save with this plugin, please post and attach them (and what they should be as a PNG or TGA or something if possible) and I'll work on supporting them too.

Able to load:

• [*:d6qzs4s2]JPEG BLPs
    [*:d6qzs4s2]8-bit Palette BLPs
    [*:d6qzs4s2]DXT1/DXT3/DXT5 BLPs

Able to save:

• [*:d6qzs4s2]JPEG BLPs
    [*:d6qzs4s2]8-bit Palette BLPs

23s7yh2.png

It was written in C++ and uses the libjpeg library. Automatic mipmap generation included.

Updated 10/8/2008:

• [*:d6qzs4s2] Fixed opening problem with version 2 BLPs with transparency

Updated 8/20/2008:

• [*:d6qzs4s2] Fixed saving problem with non-square images and 8-bit palette

Note: If you do not see "Blizzard Picture (*.blp)" in the open/save box, your computer does not have the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package. Click here to download.

blp.zip

Thanks a lot!

I frequently need to use blps in a warcraft map and just the other day I was thinking how much I hate the current tools for the conversion.

So thanks for making mapping just that much easier!

EDIT:Mine does not work (in the save dialog, there is no option for .blp

"Confusion is the welcome mat at the door of creativity." -Michaul Gelb

My Gallery Check it out!

That's weird... You have the latest version? (3.3 I think) Here's how it looks on my screen, and I tested it on another computer...

2d148d1.png

What does your screen look like?

My screen looks exactly the same but the blp option is not there (apart from my other installed filetypes).

Can somebody else check this out? Am I alone with my problem or did I do something wrong?

"Confusion is the welcome mat at the door of creativity." -Michaul Gelb

My Gallery Check it out!

It's not your fault... For some reason it works on my laptop and my brother's desktop but not my desktop. I have XP and my brother has Vista, so it's not that. I tried everything but I am looking into it.

It only works sometimes and I have absolutely no idea why. Sorry it didn't work...

Edit: I finally figured it out. Your computer does not have some files that are required by every program made with Visual C++ 2008. I have updated my original post with instructions on how to fix it.

Just link to these:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) -- http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... 02b2af5fc2

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64) -- http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... 7cfdffee4e

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Ok, I linked to the 32-bit installer, but I don't know if a 32-bit plugin can be loaded from a 64-bit program. Can someone with 64-bit Windows verify that it works?

• 1 month later...
Ok, I linked to the 32-bit installer, but I don't know if a 32-bit plugin can be loaded from a 64-bit program. Can someone with 64-bit Windows verify that it works?

Most PDN plugins work under vista soo.............. i guess it works............

Dont challange the lazy, he are godlike serius.

icefinalnm1.png

this .blp does not work. i have the .blp and a .png version in the zip.

Thank you very much. I forgot to implement transparency for version 2 BLPs. I updated it and it should work now!

• 1 month later...

i'm using vista64, i installed Paint.NET with the appropriate 3.5 .net package, i installed the VC x64 redistribution first and couldn't see your plugin, i installed the VC x69 redist and still can't see your plugin... (it's in ..\paint.net\filetypes\)

damn.

ps: i can see the default .dds plugin working fine.

ps2: i added the icon format plugin (icocur.dll) and can see them fine (.ico, .cur, .ani)

I honestly have no idea if the plugin works with 64-bit windows or not, because no one I know has 64-bit windows so I can't test it. Those plugins you listed probably work because they were written in C#, but this plugin was written in C++ and so is probably strictly 32-bit. I may release a 64-bit version if I can get my hands on a 64-bit computer, but as of now this plugin is strictly 32-bit. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey sorry for going a bit offtopic here, but would it be possible to make the plugin for adobe photoshop?

Would be appreciated by a lot of people.

Thanks in advance.

The "Search" function is your friend. :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1238&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=psd

My DA: http://leif-j.deviantart.com/

--------------

Some people seek justice so persistent, that they will do great injustice themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Leif, he means creating a BLP plugin for photoshop. I don't have photoshop myself but if someone is willing to code a photoshop plugin and wants to work off my source code it can be found here. I've been meaning to post the source code it's just not completely done and tested yet. I should be able to get photoshop though, so I suppose I could try making one. Let me know if you can't find someone.

• 1 month later...

This might be a bit late of a post for this thread to receive any help, but I installed this plugin in the file types folder but when i open Paint.Net I get nothing in the open/save dialog for Blizzard. I installed both the x86 SP1, and the x64 SP1 that was linked in the thread, and I am running vista 64-bit. If anyone else has had this issue and resolved it some help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Signature1.png

There is no necroposting rule in the Plugins forum. So you're good. :-)

You won't get anything in the Blizzard save/load screen until you've saved the image you want (not the DLL or ZIP) to your hard drive. You are doing that, right?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 3 months later...

I can't get this plugin to work at all. I am using version 3.36 of Paint.net

I have installed the correct verion of the c++ thing...

Does anyone have any idea why?

• 3 years later...

Hi Grafello - it's good to have you here on the forum.

Thie 8-bit option is available in the Low Color plugin: (where I just answered your other question :) )