Vary Shade Plug in?

Humility

Is there a plug in that like randomly adjusts the shade of a selection of objects? Like if I have 20 leaves and I quickly make it green. Is there a plug in that will make those 20 leaves 20 different shades of green?

the computer knows what an object is. Okay lets say I have 20 objects, all green, can a plug in just automatically change the color within a certain range based on the base color?

It can, but its going to be complex to code. Each shape will have to be individually flood-filled with a random shade offset from the original/base range.

These things are a bit esoteric without an example image of what you want. If you can post an image - that would help.

There might be a simple way of doing it, like Random Shape Fill on a new layer and play with the blend mode...

the computer knows what an object is.

No , it doesn't. That's just stuff we .... plugin writers/ codey people decide. Contrary to popular news reports, there is no such thing as computer intelligence. I stand to be corrected but doubt that a computer can beat me at chess without human assistance. I decide the place and swimwear!:D

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Then how do things like Bevel Object and outline object and 3d trail work? Because those seem able to tell when something is or isnt there.

Like it could just take a sample from each object, randomly shift the shade within a range, then auto paintbucket each object with the new shade. I thought the hard part would be figuring out how to set a range not how to define the objects.

I can create a mockup of what Im talking about I guess. 

Edited by Humility

Okay, what about a plug in that modifies the paint bucket tool? Like when that plug in is switched on, whenever the paint bucket or brush is used instead of the selected color, what appears is a randomly selected shade of the selected color.

I think for some reason you guys needs a seperate popup window for use of modified tools. But even with that it would work.

I've thought about writing a plugin to do that, but haven't gotten around to it. I suggest such a plugin would have ranges for the hue, saturation, and value, and per-component control over how much the values should be concentrated around the center: from being spread equally through the range to being mostly near the original value. The hue range would, of course, have to handle the circular wrap-around. Perhaps there could be a choice of whether the changes are centered at the original value, or only change upward or downward (that might be overkill). The transparency should be preserved, or maybe it could also be randomly alterable. That, too, might be overkill, and would require care not to make an object pixel completely transparent.

Each pixel in an object should, I think, have the same modifications, but the modifications should be relative to the pixel's initial color. That would preserve variations within the object. In essence, it would randomly apply the Hue/Saturation Adjustment to each object. There would probably need to be a buffer of flags for whether a particular pixel had been processed, since there's no easy for the fill routine to tell by the state of a pixel whether it had been modified,

Maybe I'll try to write such a plugin. If anyone else is interested, they might benefit from my comments about and code from the Average Object Color plugin. Though the code I show is for CodeLab, Visual Studio would be a much better choice. The simplest, and perhaps best, choice is to do most everything in OnSetRenderInfo. The modified version could be created in auxiliary surface. The surface could be initialized to a transparent color (or colors), which would serve as flags for processed pixels (since no pixel within an object is transparent). The Render threads would simply copy the pixels to the dst buffer. A fancier choice is to have an integer buffer the same size as the canvas or selection. As a one-time operation, create numbered images for each object, along with a record for each object which would contain the amount of HSV modifications to apply. Then in OnSetRenderInfo, initialize the modification amounts, and in Render, apply them, using the object-number buffer to identify which object the pixel is in. This allows the fills to be done only once instead of each time a control changes. (In pathological situations, such as a checkerboard of transparent and nontransparent pixels, this could result in quite a large number of object records.)

(Humility, plugins can't modify the behavior of the Paint Bucket or any other tool.)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Humility said:

paint bucket or brush is used instead of the selected color, what appears is a randomly selected shade of the selected color.

Umm. No. Paint Bucket and Paint Brush use the currently selected Primary or Secondary color to fill the pixels which satisfy the Tolerance setting. There is no 'randomly selected shade'.

Recoloring Tool does respect shades when recoloring - are you thinking of that?

Probably it does not help in your special case, but as a general work help here is an idea:
Step 1: Create a leaf-shape at a transparent layer and multiply it by Layers -> Rotate / Zoom..., Tiling
Step 2: Create an Help Grid in a new layer using one of the available plugins
Step 3: create a color gradient as the lowest layer and adjust it with Pixelate+ to the grid
Step 4: Select a grid in the Grid level with the magic wand tool
Step 5: Subtract the area around the leaf in the Leaf layer
Step 6: Profit
;)

leafs.png

Edited by IRON67

13 hours ago, MJW said:

I've thought about writing a plugin to do that, but haven't gotten around to it. I suggest such a plugin would have ranges for the hue, saturation, and value, and per-component control over how much the values should be concentrated around the center: from being spread equally through the range to being mostly near the original value. The hue range would, of course, have to handle the circular wrap-around. Perhaps there could be a choice of whether the changes are centered at the original value, or only change upward or downward (that might be overkill). The transparency should be preserved, or maybe it could also be randomly alterable. That, too, might be overkill, and would require care not to make an object pixel completely transparent.

I find the concept of this (future?) plugin tantalizing!  If results were favorable, it would reduce a lot of steps, depending on the image you were creating.

I say, have a go at it MJW!  :)

15 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Umm. No. Paint Bucket and Paint Brush use the currently selected Primary or Secondary color to fill the pixels which satisfy the Tolerance setting. There is no 'randomly selected shade'.

Recoloring Tool does respect shades when recoloring - are you thinking of that?

I feel like where Im talking stuff in laymen's terms. Everyone else is trying to interpret my words through some technical jargon filled filter. In my mind paintbucket is a tool that fills an area with color. A brush is a tool that fills a point with color. Any tools that do the same things are a version of that tool. Even if they are technically a completely different tool built from scratch. And a shade is any color thats not a primary or secondary color. Like lemon is a shade of yellow. And eggshell is a shade of white. I feel like where Im talking stuff in laymen's terms. Everyone else is trying to interpret my words through some technical jargon filled filter. havent the foggiest what you mean by shades. Since the current brush and bucket can use my definition of shades just fine just not randomly.

10 minutes ago, Humility said:

I feel like where Im talking stuff in laymen's terms. Everyone else is trying to interpret my words through some technical jargon filled filter.

Don't blame us. Some illustrations of you might have explained everything better. It is not that you can explain here only with words.

I was just about to post examples if you don't mind. Its not like I can create them out of thin air and I just woke up an hour ago.

Step%201.png

None of them are actually touching, there are like three layers here.

Step%202.png

This is what I want the plugin to do. Turn that single color green to this bunch of shades of green.

Finished%20Example.png

This is probably superfluous but I went ahead and finished up so you can see in the end it looks like a bunch of trees.

Edited by Humility

Pardon my ignorance, but how can you reasonably expect a plugin to do your very specialized effects? I would suggest to you to invest your time in learning how to write your own plugins for your own specific needs.

69unju0.gif

Because it seemed reasonable to me that perhaps someone who does know how to code, had already made a plug in to do this. Doubly so since shade variation is a fundamental of art (if my second grade art teacher is to be believed). Its not like I'm demanding anyone make this plug in for me. I simply asked if there was a plug in that did this then other people started asking for more details and I responded.  (And I spent a a few days trying to learn Javascript once, and learned that coding is completely impossible for me. It requires learning in a way I can't learn in.)

One extra layer, no code required.

Random Shape Fill | Dents | Gaussian Blur | Blend mode: Multiply | Opacity 100. Crop out the blue background and the gray building.

treetexture.png

Texturing objects like this is a technique you really should learn. Even if you don't like the result I've posted, you can still apply similar techniques to produce different textures.

As I said previously, if you upload the images someone will likely show you the steps.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Humility said:

Its not like I can create them out of thin

In your first posting this would have prevented some misunderstandings.

However - it is something completely different as I've expected. And since all the shapes are in different layers, a plugin can't do that (if I've understand other postings right) because it can't handle multiple layers.

Ego Eram Reputo's advice is an good idea in case of it doesn't matter how realistic the shading will be finally.

If you want to have better looking trees, you should say goodbye to the idea of automatic/random coloring.

If you are interested in a video to quickly and easily paint a tree (12.5 MB, ~6 min): http://workupload.com/file/N3vG6h6

Edited by IRON67

8 hours ago, IRON67 said:

In your first posting this would have prevented some misunderstandings.

However - it is something completely different as I've expected. And since all the shapes are in different layers, a plugin can't do that (if I've understand other postings right) because it can't handle multiple layers.

Ego Eram Reputo's advice is an good idea in case of it doesn't matter how realistic the shading will be finally.

If you want to have better looking trees, you should say goodbye to the idea of automatic/random coloring.

If you are interested in a video to quickly and easily paint a tree (12.5 MB, ~6 min): http://workupload.com/file/N3vG6h6

[roll eyes] So a plug-in like this would require I cntl F on each layer? Like with Bevel object, outline object and 3d trail. Three plug ins I already used as examples. You don't say.

@Ego I guess I can try that method. Thanks.

27 minutes ago, Humility said:

[roll eyes] .... You don't say.

Glad to help such a thankful and nice person like you.

Keep squabbling like this and I'll make you marry each other.

I'm not joking. Enough is enough.

• Upvote 1