Paint.NET for Android?

Arc681

1) Getting to the Point

Android has been around for a day or two now, and Paint.NET has been around for a day or two longer than that. When I searched for why they haven't yet been turned into mutually assured awesomeness together, the best answer I saw from BoltBait, an admin, was that it is "not going happen". The attached is a screen cap of that answer in the interest of being thorough. I'm content to accept that answer, but I was amazed that in that thread, no one took the time to ask for or provide a reason why. May I please learn why, and can that topic be added to the FAQs? Thank you lots. The resolute nature of the answer surprises me since I would be willing to pay for such an application, and I sense an opportunity for the creators to generate money to invest in the furthering of this image editor.

2) High Praise for Paint.NET

I've donated a few times over the years but never actually expressed gratitude to everyone who has kept the project running and free for so long. Thank you for providing a stable, consistent, simple, and free image editor for so very long. When I first fell in love with it, I thought for sure that it was going to disappear because it was just to good to be true, but it hasn't, and I'm grateful.

Edit: BoltBait, I'm not out to put you on blast here; I merely intended to cite a reference, and you were the easiest source. Thanks! <3

Capture+_2017-02-28-17-27-04.png

Edited by Arc681
clarification of intent

Thank you, MJW.

I don't know nearly enough about the construction of the software to concretely make an assumption, but suspecting that it is married to Microsoft's .NET platform would make for sound reasoning.

To that end, should I further suspect that designing Paint.NET for Android would be starting nearly from scratch? I don't blame y'all for not wanting to reinvent the wheel; that seems... unproductive.

Edited by Arc681
spelling and grammar

Not only would it require a lot of effort to port it, the support required would also greatly increase. Rick Brewster has his hands full, as it is.

• Upvote 1

I'd still like to reiterate my request to add the topic to the FAQs. ;) That does seem productive. :P

Edited by Arc681
spelling and grammar
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Arc681 said:

I'd still like to reiterate my request to add the topic to the FAQs.

The FAQ already includes an item regarding support for other operating systems.

(1) Will it ever be ported to Mac OS, Linux, or any other operating system?

(2) What about Mono support? Wouldn't that be really easy?

We will not be doing any work to directly support Mac OS, Linux, Mono, or any other platform. We are doing this in order to focus on the best quality and support for the platform that we develop on: Windows with .NET. Also, we simply do not have the resources or expertise to do any of this work.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

• toe_head2001 changed the title to Paint.NET for Android?
  • toe_head2001 locked this topic