Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Buck

How big can I create?

3 posts in this topic

Hello all.  I am new on here, so please forgive me for asking obvious questions.  I am wanting to design digital art to print fabric - the finished project will be 90x90cm and the printer is asking for a minimum of 300dpi.   My designs are made up of layers of photographs and images with added shapes and lines.  When I create at the actual print size the end file comes out at less than 100dpi.  I saw a tutorial which explained that to get a higher dpi, work larger and then re-size at the end - but when I try to do that everything freezes up.  Am I attempting to do something impossible?

90 cm ~ 35,43 inches

dpi = dots per inch

35.43 * 300 = 10629 (pixels)

Paint.net works on screen with a standard resolution of 96 dpi. So the size will be 281.23 cm. Changing to 300 dpi -> 90 cm

^ correct. +1

@Buck create a new image (File > New). In the dialog, manually input a resolution of 300 dots per inch and pixel size of 10629 pixels in both height and width.

Ref: http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/FileMenu.html

Yup. It's going to be big! Working larger like this will slow things down - especially on more modest systems. Keep the number of layers down or create the components across a number of separate images (the same size).

P.s. Manage the view size with the Ctrl key + mousewheel ;)