Reduce colors of image and use custom palette for colors?

I have searched the forums for an answer to my question but unable to find anything.

I'm looking for something that can reduce the colors of an image to about 45 colors and/or pixelate at the same time.

Otherwise the "resize image" works perfectly fine. Just need a reduce colors option.

This would be perfect for perler art and pixel patterns if I could find something.

Any links I have seen that might have been helpful have been deleted. :(

9 hours ago, Eli said:

Tr's Color Reducer  could be what you are looking for.

For pixel work :

1. TileWorld.

2. Pixel Set Replacer.

I saw that first one. Didn't look to be what I wanted but it's possible.

I just tried to install it and it is giving me messages saying it might harm my computer. 

and I'm not sure how to even open the file. I unzipped and double clicked the .dll but it just asks what program to open it in. It won't open in Paint.net. D:

Just put the DLL in the Effects directory of your Paint.NET installation. Thats all. You don't have to doubleclick it.

DLL stands for Dynamic Link Library and like in a library the people use books for information here Paint.NET uses the code in a DLL to make an effect.

Edited by IRON67
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, IRON67 said:

Just put the DLL in the Effects directory of your Paint.NET installation. Thats all. You don't have to doubleclick it.

DLL stands for Dynamic Link Library and like in a library the people use books for information here Paint.NET uses the code in a DLL to make an effect.

Ah I figured it out, thank you! 

I can't seem to find a way to use a specific palette for the reduced colors.

5 minutes ago, raeanana said:

I can't seem to find a way to use a specific palette for the reduced colors.

You have to reduce the colors until less then 100 color entries in the palette. Then you can save this palette (and change the single entries).

24 minutes ago, IRON67 said:

You have to reduce the colors until less then 100 color entries in the palette. Then you can save this palette (and change the single entries).

So there's no way to replace that palette with one I've already made?

I made a palette that includes every color of perler beads, if you've heard of them. So I would want to have those 45 colors be the only colors in the image.

Just now, raeanana said:

So there's no way to replace that palette with one I've already made?

Normally I don't work with palettes. I just figured out, what I wrote before, but I'm afraid it isn't possible in an easy way. May be other users can help you more, sorry.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Eli said:

Tr's Color Reducer  could be what you are looking for.

Following up on Eli's suggestion ^ Color Reducer will work to reduce the number of colors. Once you're down to 45 colors (or whatever), try

TR's Custom Palette Matcher 

It will remap the image colors to the closest match in the specified palette (NB needs to be a paint.net palette)

17 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Following up on Eli's suggestion ^ Color Reducer will work to reduce the number of colors. Once you're down to 45 colors (or whatever), try

TR's Custom Palette Matcher 

It will remap the image colors to the closest match in the specified palette (NB needs to be a paint.net palette)

Wow that is exactly what I wanted! Thank you so much!

I must comment on TRs color reducer. Its designed to allow the artist to reduce the number of colors in the picture so a custom palette can be made for that specific project. Creates a lot of work if you work on many projects. Using the multiplier functions allows you to reduce the number of colors you need to remove to create your palette.

Edited by AndrewDavid
Removed dup sig
  • Upvote 1

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png