Text on a Photo

I am new to photo editing and I have a rather basic question. How do I place text - one word or several words - on a photo and keep the photo as the background behind the text. I can insert text, move it and size it but in the final image the text is always in a small white box, the back ground photo deleted within the box. I have looked for a tutorial and have not found one. Thank you. 

The only way is to save the image with two layers (one for the image itself and one for the text) as PDN file. But because this filetype will not be recognized in normal image applications or a browser you must additional save it as normal image in PNG-, JPG- or something else format.

2layers.jpg

Edited by IRON67

2 hours ago, BillH said:

I can insert text, move it and size it but in the final image the text is always in a small white box, the back ground photo deleted within the box.

Sounds to me that you are using Microsoft Paint and not paint.net.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your reply. My initial question was not specific enough, didn't really say what I was trying to do.

I am using paint.net Version 4.0.13.

If I use the text tool within paint.net and put the text on a separate layer, the text appears the way that I want it to. Text Imported from the clipboard or from MS Word 2013 comes in in a white box. I am a retired cartographer and, to stay busy I will do small maps for publishers and these days most want digital (jpg) images. I can do most text within paint.net but, on occasion, I need mathematical symbols, the degree symbol, etc. (probably a dozen symbols from the extended character sets) and the fonts in paint.net do not seem to include the extended character sets. On my HP Laptop, the alt codes for the extended characters do not work; on a friends high end desk top work station, no problem.  

3 minutes ago, BillH said:

Text Imported from the clipboard or from MS Word 2013 comes in in a white box.

How exactly do you "import" text? The simple and usual way is CTRL+C and CTRL+V and thats works without "white box", if you use a transparent layer.

5 minutes ago, BillH said:

and the fonts in paint.net do not seem to include the extended character sets.

These fonts are your installed fonts on your system. Just install fonts, that includes such symbols.