Fantasy Clouds

What exactly do you mean? The coloring effects or the clouds itself? If you mean the cloud structure: I think NO. The best way for cloud pictures is to take pictures of real clouds. Or you photograph something like a bunch of fried chickenwings ;)

Many years ago @Sepcot wrote a plugin that became the built in Clouds effect (I think I have that right, I can't check from my current location). The plugin worked a little differently from the effect. I recall the plugin could create quite nice separate formations. I'll have a tinker with it later and post my results if they look promising.

Tnx Pixey. i tried the tut and played with it a little. and i came to this level by now.:mrred:

clouds.png

add some sparkles here and i tried the idea of Iron and Eli with the layer f the galaxy:mrcyan:

clouds2.png

Here i add some more clouds and just played with the Zoom

clouds3.png

Edited by Shochi
  • Upvote 3

Now that the DLL I mentioned has been restored, you can get it here

I saw this thread the other day and got carried away doing a few tests with TR's Cloud Control (a bit slow on my PC but that's because the poor machine is so miserably old :P) and TR's Third Dimension, plus a few clouds here and there painted with CustomBrushesMini with a soft brush.

I've used the clouds plugin mentioned above, but mostly when I need skies with separated clouds in a scene viewed from the ground.

I've used TR's Third Dimension to create overcast skies with chunks of clouds viewed from above, like from an aircraft for example, in which case I set the Squash and Stretch slider to around 100 or higher, and the map I use is basically an image containing one render of the clouds effect at default values (the built-in clouds effect I mean).

TR's Cloud Control renders somewhat fragmented clouds depending on the settings used, but the good thing about it is that you can apply it to irregular selections, which is great for rendering mushroom clouds like in the first picture below (tweaking the colors appropriately can make it resemble a nuclear explosion or any kind of explosion that produces a mushroom cloud).

Whatever effect we use, it's also necessary to play around with colors, shades, blending modes, and layer opacities until getting something decent. I'm aware the images that follow need more tweaking, but I think they don't look bad as a starting point for artworks done completely in PdN (the aircraft are also my creations, please excuse their imperfections :)). Please, click on thumbnails for larger views:

Fluffy_Clouds_Experiment_1.jpg  Fluffy_Clouds_Experiment_2.jpg  Fluffy_Clouds_Experiment_3.jpg  Fluffy_Clouds_Experiment_4.jpg

• Upvote 3