illustrate a smartphone screen

Ixolus

Hello, first time poster here! 

I have been using Paint.net for quite a while at this point and have a pretty solid grasp on how to use it, my only problem is that I can't quite figure out if it has the ability to do the (quite simple) task i'm attempting....

I'm trying to illustrate my own image onto a smartphone that is at an angle. Here is a screenshot of the phone I'm trying to edit.SFiXBBl.jpg 

As you can see, the phone is at a very slight angle so I cant get a rectangular shape to fit no matter how I rotate it. Ive tried using the perspective effect plugin, but it isn't exactly what I need...

Any ideas on how I can accomplish this? Thanks!

24 minutes ago, IRON67 said:

Use instead "Quadrilateral Correction"

So I installed it and tried it, looks like it does sort of the opposite of what I want... This tool takes a skewed image and straightened it, I need a tool that takes a straight image and skews it a certain way..

Basically I want to create an image that is the same size as the screen and then put it on that screen in the woman's hand

Edited by Ixolus

No I don't think that'll quite do it either, like I said earlier the phone in the picture is at a slight angle, not just in X and Y, but in Z as well... The problem is this image is not 2D but 3D Let me see if I can make an example, I'll work on that and edit it into this post.

So the image above is my background and here is what I want to put onto the screen 3d2B1Ae.png

So when I try to put it on it looks like this NFtFT0r.jpg

Which doesn't look good... if I make it transparent, you can better see what I want, I just want to be able to align the corners so that it looks more natural GEP9Ed4.jpg

EDIT: TRs Distort This! looked promising, but upon further review its very hard to use and it crashes when I try to do anything...

Edited by Ixolus

Have another look at Quadrilateral Correction. All you need to do is relocate the corner nubs as per the demo image from Iron67.

As far as I can see, Ixolus is correct. Quadrilateral Correction undoes a perspective distortion, while what's needed is something to add a perspective distortion. Specifically, the nubs in Quadrilateral Correction specify the source region to transform, not the destination into which the image will be transformed.

If my suggestion doesn't fit, your explanation of the problem wasn't sufficient, I think.

You don't want to edit the given image with the angled screen, but you want to replace the screen with an other screen with the same angles.

So here's a new suggestion: TR's Distort This!

Edit: I've overseen, that you have already tried this. For me it works. No crash.

Distort.jpg

Edited by IRON67

Thank you guys for all the great replies, I'll need to look into it more later... While this is for work, id feel bad sitting around editing one picture on billable hours... So i'm going to obsess over it by myself later tonight lol.