Uninstall blocked by Cortana?

kthr33

Running Windows 10, Acer desktop. Yesterday, and for no reason I can determine, all my pictures started opening in paint.net. I don't want my pictures opening in paint.net because paint.net and I are not compatible. The first thing I did was to follow the online instructions to select Windows Photo Viewer as my default viewer. My pictures still open in paint.net. The Windows help forum was not helpful in this issue so I decided to uninstall paint.net and see if that caused my pictures to stop opening in paint.net. I didn't find anything on the paint.net window that I recognized as a unstall feature. Then I went to Control Panel and uninstall a program. I right clicked and chose uninstall. The process started, progressed, then stopped short of completion and a paint.net window opens and says "The following application should be closed before continuing the install:" and in the window are Start and Cortana. There are 3 buttons below the window, Cancel, Retry, and Ignore. I'm stumped at this point. Since I clicked uninstall to start the process and the window says install, what am I to do at this point to continue the uninstall? All ideas, suggestions, comments any wish to offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, K.

First: I assume, that beside Cortana and Windows itself, also Paint.net still was running. You can check this in the task manager and kill the process, if it was hanging.

Second: Every modern Picture Viewer has the ability to set it up as standard application. Use this feature before fighting with options in Windows.

You don't have to uninstall paint.net.