New Version not launching - SOLVED!

I thought it was just being pinned to the toolbar that made it not launch, but now every start it just hangs up then fails to run. I've installed the new version twice now, same result. W10 pro 64 bit. Any thoughts? Thanks.

see my post below for details - it was actually a failing HDD.

Edited by Retiredslacker
solved.

Are you up to date with all your windows updates?

• 2 weeks later...

I've had problems launching paint.net ever since Microsquish upgraded my OS to Windows 10 Home. The program opens, but not completely. With the first click I make "(not responding)" pops into the blue bar at the top, next to the paint.net version number. The cursor changes to a spinning circle and I wait. And wait. And wait. On earlier Windows 10 updates, and earlier versions of paint.net, the wait time was 10-15 seconds. But the wait time has grown to 1-2 minutes. When Windows 10 came out, I noticed a few programs taking a little longer to open, but paint.net has been the hardest hit. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but the problem persists.

Reading other posts, I came across a tidbit of information that seems to have solved my problem, at least for the moment. When you uninstall paint.net, the effects, file types, and shapes subfolders do not get deleted. So I uninstalled the program, moved those subfolders out for safekeeping, and deleted the main folder. Then I reinstalled the program. With nothing in those newly reinstalled subfolders, paint.net launched just fine. So I downloaded an effects pack, got the plug-ins into the effects subfolder, and launched paint.net again. No problems. No "(not responding)" message, and no waiting. Loaded several more packs. Still no problems. Hope it stays that way!

Well, I was wrong about having fixed the problem. I guess each time I loaded more plug-ins and relaunched, it had been hanging around in memory and so came up fast. But once it has a chance to clear from memory, it still takes nearly 2 minutes to load and give me a cursor. Any ideas? Anyone? Buehler?

14 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Traditional hard disk drive

You could try defraging you hard drive; that should decrease the disk seek-time, and thus load the plugins faster.

If you have the means, it is recommended to invest in a Solid State drive. Even the cheaper ones that connect over SATA are leaps and bounds faster than spinning hard drives.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Plugins have to be loaded.

Loading takes time.

More plugins means more loading time.

Therefore, to achieve lower loading time you must have fewer plugins.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg