search feedback

I DL'd the pdf version of the plug-in list; saw one I was interested in, Ahmed's Plug-ins, and returned to the forum and searched "ahmed" = no results. "Ahmed" however returned the correct result, but only well after I looked for the entry "by hand", scrolling through numerous posts; only when I had found it by that method, did it occur to me to try the capital A in the search.

In my opinion, "ahmed" is a superior search than "Ahmed", as it would return the results wanted, capitalized or not. I'm curious if this came up for others when they searched.

The reason I ask is your plug-ins are kind of 'hidden', in that they are not on a page or in a hyperlink listing, they are each buried in a post. I understand that is the way you set it up, and I get that the authors can then have control, input and feedback, but it ain't easy to use that way, in my opinion. I'd rather also see a hyperlink text page listing simply organized and scroll-able, searchable. Just a thought. Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Retiredslacker said:

... returned to the forum and searched "ahmed" = no results.

Works for me. "ahmed" = 137 results

14 minutes ago, Retiredslacker said:

I'd rather also see a hyperlink text page listing simply organized and scroll-able, searchable.

It's here: https://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/15260-plugin-index/

It's has hyperlinks to each plugin topic, is organized alphabetically, is scrollable, and searchable.

17 minutes ago, Retiredslacker said:

they are each buried in a post

Is it really so hard to spot a blue link in the first post of the forum thread?

Maybe you'd prefer something a bit less subtle?

http://geekpeaksoftware.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Download.png

• Upvote 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Thank you toe-head for pointing out the hyperlinked version of the plugin index.

You  can also use the topic number to direct your browser to a specific plugin. Replace the topic number in the URL in the address bar and append a dash and another character (it doesn't matter which). Then hit enter/go.

That is the page where i got the pdf. It was not linked. You don't get it. There is a helter-skelter shotgun approach to these things. Offering links in forums is an inferior way to do it; it is confusing, time-consuming, frustrating way to do business. I get the whole community idea thing, but too many choice, too much info spread over too many areas. It's all in messages, and then quoted messages and then, more.

So thanks for the left-handed info mr gameroftheyear; not helpful, but indicative of how an outsider's opinions are received here. Merry Xmas.

2 hours ago, Retiredslacker said:

nice button...it doesn't work though!

What were you hoping to download by clicking on it?

2 hours ago, Retiredslacker said:

So thanks for the left-handed info mr gameroftheyear; not helpful, but indicative of how an outsider's opinions are received here. Merry Xmas.

That title, "Gamer of the Year", was not chosen by me.  I rarely play games; video games or otherwise.

How can I be more helpful? Can you specify or articulate what you're looking for?  You've only said what you're not looking for:  i.e. plugins posted in forum posts.

Perhaps you could cite some examples of systems you'd prefer. For example, I would like to have the plugins in a repository comparable to Mozilla Addons.

You're no more an outsider than I am.  I may have been around here longer, but I certainly don't make any administrative decisions around here. Please keep in mind what I said is in no way official.

Merry Christmas. :D

• Upvote 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

I create four versions of the plugin index each month. There's the PDF, epub an kindle versions. Then there are the forum listings. Which are all hyperlinked for your ease of use. They are not 'buried in posts'. The size of each listing simply overruns the forum post limits (it used to be smaller). So the lists have to span multiple posts.

Remember I am a volunteer. I'm not paid for this. 1.8 million page views over 7 years. Must be doing something right...

• Upvote 1

I should also point out that the Epub and Kindle version of the plugin Index have hyperlinks. The PDF is the only one that doesn't.