Crash [Exception], Paint.net doesn't work anymore

Emy

Hello everyone. I never had any problem with paint.NET, but today it seems that the applications doesn't work. I can't even open it. All I have is this message and I don't understand what's the matter. It's the most recent version (4.0.12) and I already tried to uninstall / install... Thanks for help.

capture-20161203-231316.png

6 hours ago, Swankyfrank said:

This question may have no bearing on your problem,

do you have "D" drive ?

I'm sorry, I'm not really good with those terms. Are you talking about my drivers ? 

Don't worry about a "D:\" drive, as it is irrelevant to your issue.

Looks like the error dialog is saying an external component caused an exception. It's not clear (to me at least) what that external component is though.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Hi Emy ..... Swankyfrank is asking if you have this:

vH5JvnR.png

Please try this:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

47 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

Don't worry about a "D:\" drive, as it is irrelevant to your issue.

Looks like the error dialog is saying an external component caused an exception. It's not clear (to me at least) what that external component is though.

Same for me :o Thanks for stoping by x3

46 minutes ago, Pixey said:

Hi Emy ..... Swankyfrank is asking if you have this:

vH5JvnR.png

Please try this:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

Oh I wasn't sure about this ! (So yes I have this one.)

Okay I've tried your link and installed it but it's the same result :/

(thanks for giving your time ;^;)

OK - since you say you have uninstalled and tried to download again, please try this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

and then try to download PDN again from here the black dot Download box.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

My recommendation for this type of problem is:

1. Reboot and try again
  2. If still having problems, make sure you're completely caught up with all Windows Updates.
  3. If still having problems, do a Repair on the .NET Framework from within the relevant control panel (did they rename it in the latest Win10? Used to be "Programs and Features")

That's all I've got right now. This "SEHException" stands for (Structured Exception Handling) Exception. Some type of native Win32 error is being jammed into Paint.NET from something else. I don't have a good explanation for this, it could kinda be any number of things.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

@Pixey I've tried one again. Uninstall Paint.NET, follow their instructions and then install it. Same result... I swear I have followed all of your instructions (twice *sobs*)

@Rick Yeah I was thinking it was because of updates but they are all done, even the minors. The reboot was my first try. I just repaired it. Same result.

I'm going crazy. Should I wait for the next update ? 

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Emy said:

Thanks for those who helped me. Well at least, tried.

I still need help. :((

Emy, I was having issues not related to yours, what I did was, went to add & remove programs, removed the program, then deleted the folder (paint.net) in Program files, reinstalled Paint.Net from the web site as per the the forum guidelines. My installer asked if I wanted to allow this program to make changes, agreed,  Paint.net installed but the agree box was still up so I clicked no,  I'm not having any problems now but I have to get around to reinstalling all the plugins. I'm on the Anniversary edition of Windows 10

Wish you luck and hope to see some of your work here.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a shot in the dark, but maybe you could try running it in compatibility mode or as an administrator. I don't expect it to work, though.

Edited by AnthonyScoffler