Integrate/merge toolbox and toolbar? Make toolbar (and toolbox) customizable!

pstein

When I open a new installed Paint.NET then I have two area with tool icons:

The toolbar and the toolbox.

Can I somehow merge them? I would appreciate it really if I could have ONE toolbar with all the toolbox icons?

Even more: It would be good to make the toolbar (and toolbox) customizable.

Is this possible or can this be implemented in the next release?

Peter

4 minutes ago, pstein said:

Can I somehow merge them? I would appreciate it really if I could have ONE toolbar with all the toolbox icons?

The Toolbar already contains all the Toolbox icons.

toolchoice.png

6 minutes ago, pstein said:

Even more: It would be good to make the toolbar (and toolbox) customizable.

The Toolbar can be customized to a degree:

http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/SettingsDialog.html

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

• 4 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 4:38 AM, toe_head2001 said:

You can't.

I recommend learning the keyboard shortcuts.

I know the shortcuts I need but I would still like to see some additional icons on the toolbar. I'd vote for a customizable toolbar but from past posts it looks like there is some resistance to that. (Not complaining, just observing.)

The additional icons I'd like to see in the toolbar are Copy Merged, Paste to New Layer, and Paste to New Image. You'll note that the functions I'm asking for are all mechanical operations, not drawing functions, and thus fit with the theme of the other icons in the toolbar.

I believe this small set of icons will improve productivity, in the same manner as the incredibly valuable Crop to Selection icon.

Another post talks about a Save as JPG icon on the toolbar. I support that idea but I'd rather see Save for Web, ala Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. Let Save/SaveAs be for the native PDN format and Save for Web be for flat files. Then have a setting that lets the user choose which raster format (PNG, JPG, GIF, TIFF, etc.) is the default. If this separation were present, it would probably be easier to build automatic flattening, restoring the layers after the save without having to ask the user if it is okay to flatten.

6 hours ago, BaltimoreWill said:

The additional icons I'd like to see in the toolbar are Copy Merged, Paste to New Layer, and Paste to New Image.

Honestly - I think the keyboard shortcuts are faster and easier. You don't have to remember arcane combinations because Rick has made them logically extend base shortcuts:

Ctrl + C = copy | Ctrl + Shift + C = copy merged.

Ctrl + V = paste | Ctrl + Shift + V = paste into new layer | Ctrl + Alt + V = paste in to new image.

You can bet that if Rick implemented your icons, someone else would come along and ask for icons for x, y, and z. It never ends....