Is there anything that can be done to optimize Paint.net for an image that is 38400 x 21600?

Cestle

I have looked around for this answer and found a few good articles on how memory is managed, dpi vs resolution, and so on. I have seen some posts where people are trying to edit "high resolution images" but nothing near the size of what I am trying to do. I have 38400 x 21600 resolution, 11 layer, .pdn, which Paint.net is the only application where I have been able to successfully edit. Which is feat in of its own I think as GIMP and Photoshop just crash once the image is opened or can't open it due to lack of memory.

I do occasionally get some crashes in Paint.net but that's when I use some add-ons or resizing. I think the reason why is that this image is taking 28 gig of the 32 gig I have in this system. The application is trying to find a contiguous block of memory and attempts to write in a system reserved section of RAM.

Application version: paint.net 4.0.12 (Final 4.12.6099.39434)

Time of crash: 9/18/2016 7:26:53 AM

Application uptime: 01:07:25.2124908

Application state: Running

Working set: 2,495,384 KiB

Handles and threads: 849 handles, 39 threads, 280 gdi, 275 user

Install directory: C:\Program Files\paint.net

Current directory: C:\Program Files\paint.net

OS Version: 10.0.10586.0 Workstation x64

.NET version: CLR 4.0.30319.42000 x64, FX 4.6

Processor: 8x "AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor           " @ ~4013MHz (DEP, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4_1, SSE4_2, XSAVE)

Physical memory: 32713 MB

Video card: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series (v:1002, d:6719, r:0), Microsoft Basic Render Driver (v:1414, d:8C, r:0)

Hardware acceleration: True (default: True)

UI animations: True

UI DPI: 96.00 dpi (1.00x scale)

UI theme: Aero/Aero + DWM (Aero.msstyles)

Updates: True, 9/17/2016

Locale: pdnr.c: en-US, hklm: en-US, hkcu: en-US, cc: en-US, cuic: en-US

Exception details: System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

I saw the post where it states the memory requirements for images is "(W x H x 4) x (L + 2)" so I know the simple solution would be to reduce the number of layers (or get more RAM). The number of layers can go from 7 to 11 layers as I work with the image so that's not out of the question.

TL;DR - What I am wondering is if there is anything I can do to help not only avoid crashes but improve the performance of Paint.net for an image this size.

(38,400 x 21,600 x 4) x (11 + 2)

= 3,317,760,000 x 13

= 43,130,880,000

You need 64GB of RAM, bro.

Nobody ever had a bad time with 64GB of RAM.

There are still many optimizations I haven't yet done for Paint.NET that would reduce this memory usage, and others that would increase the performance. They are difficult and expensive (w.r.t. my time) optimizations to make, which is why I haven't done them yet. Paint.NET's performance scales well, but it does not scale up well enough for images of this size and layer count. Until then, even if you have 1 TB of RAM, Paint.NET will not perform well on an image of this size unless you also somehow manage to get a 40 GHz CPU (yes, raw CPU cycles and IPC would be needed in lieu of the actual optimizations).

So ... upgrade your RAM, and be warned.

Also, having an NVMe SSD for your C: drive will greatly improve performance versus an HDD or a regular SSD. The Intel 750 is a good choice, as is the Samsung 950 Pro, among others. This will help performance for 2 reasons: 1) unless you upgrade to 64GB of RAM, you will be using the pagefile and you'll want that to be as fast as possible, and 2) Paint.NET uses that same drive for saving history data, and for your image those files will be huge and use lots of I/O to save and restore. History data is saved every time you perform any action that adds something to the History window.

An NVMe SSD is up to 5x faster than a regular SATA SSD.

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg