paint.net 4.0.12 is now available!

Rick Brewster

This is a hotfix for some crashing on single CPU systems, and a rendering bug in the Rounded Rectangle shape.

As usual, you can download the update directly from the website, or you can use the built-in updater via Settings –> Updates –> Check Now.

Changes:

• Fixed: Rounded Rectangle rendering was incorrect for some values of "Corner size"
  • Fixed: Effects and Adjustments were crashing the app on systems with only 1 CPU core, or virtual machines configured for only 1 CPU

And here are the changes from 4.0.11 for convenience:

• New: Rounded Rectangle's corner size ("radius") is now configurable
  • New: Overscroll can now be disabled from within Settings
  • Fixed: The Zoom tool was broken in 4.0.10
  • Fixed: Auto scroll will no longer engage overscroll. This prevents the image from shooting off in all directions when drawing on it or when making a selection.
  • Fixed: Panning with the middle mouse button would sometimes be "sticky", as reported at 
  • Fixed: Effect rendering performance had significantly regressed in 4.0.10, by as much as 50%, on Intel CPUs with HyperThreading.
  • Fixed: Selecting the entire image and then using Zoom to Selection or the Zoom Tool would align the image in an awkward manner
  • Fixed: In rare cases, Settings -> Plugin Errors was hanging the whole system (bug in WPF?). This UI is now implemented in WinForms instead of WPF. 
  • Fixed some more high-DPI issues, especially when using multiple monitors with mixed DPI, or when using Remote Desktop

Enjoy!

• Upvote 3

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• Rick Brewster pinned this topic

LOVE the changes, I noticed the rounded rectangle was fixed (never looked ok with one pixel width before), then I looked here and saw overscroll was made optional, be still my heart.   Hey if I'm gonna complain when it changes for the worse, I'm gonna be classy enough to thank and praise when it changes for the better.

BTW I was just wondering why there isn't a change tool, like a paint brush like tool that with left/right click sharpens/softens, increases/decreases hue or saturation or lightness/contrast or allows someone to paint with a selected hue or or.  I wouldn't even use it much personally but it just feel like it is the main component that feels missing.   If these have been suggested, that's fine, I guess they have.  So probably ignore.

28 minutes ago, circlularthinking said:

BTW I was just wondering why there isn't a change tool, like a paint brush like tool that with left/right click sharpens/softens, increases/decreases hue or saturation or lightness/contrast or allows someone to paint with a selected hue or or.  I wouldn't even use it much personally but it just feel like it is the main component that feels missing.   If these have been suggested, that's fine, I guess they have.  So probably ignore.

Try this plugin: 

6 hours ago, Xyxis said:

So will I just have to stick with 4.0.9 forever to be able to switch tabs, then?

As explained here: http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/KeyboardMouseCommands.html

The keyboard command for switching to the next tab is Ctrl-Tab.  Switching to the previous tab is Ctrl-Shift-Tab.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey. I recently updated, and many tools are lagging. For the first few brush strokes, it's okay, but any more of that and the newest version goes all wacky on me. All tools trail behind the cursor, causing a large delay from when I draw and when the strokes actually show up at that position. Said lines also render very choppy. I am running windows 10 pro with an i7 and GTX 970 FTW.

Thank you for fixing the bugs from the previous release. The click scroll isn't sticky anymore.

I recently discovered a new bug, it was present before 4.0.12, since overscroll was implemented: Shift or Ctrl key pressed while inserting text on the lower corners makes the image scoll until it meets the edge. It's easier to reproduce with larger resolution images (in this case 2560x1440) and at higher zoom (400% or 600% or more).
http://i.imgur.com/QJBaTnd.gif

Edited by slash4real

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, ratty redemption said:

why does pdn's about info say "final" next to the 4.0.12?

Final as in non-beta; v4.0.12 became stable and no more test builds (betas) were need. Thus, v4.0.12 final.

The final is specific to the particular version, and does not mean 'final paint.net'.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

On 14/09/2016 at 6:01 PM, Xyxis said:

So will I just have to stick with 4.0.9 forever to be able to switch tabs, then?

I know how you feel about usability.  I used paint shop pro 5 for over a decade, I came over to using this but I still use PSP5 for stuff.   I still miss CTRL-DEL to actually delete the file I'm looking at (with confirmation)  - I asked here but got shot down.

Considering Rick appears to be a very graphics heavy person with his knowledge, it's a miracle this is as easy to use as it is.

I am trying to resize a photo with the drag tool not the resize tool and I can't remember how to do it, can you help me?

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, everafterphoto said:

I am trying to resize a photo with the drag tool not the resize tool and I can't remember how to do it, can you help me?

After making a selection, switch to the "Move Selected Pixels" tool (:MoveTool:). You'll then be able to resize the selection by clicking and dragging the control nubs.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

1 minute ago, toe_head2001 said:

After making a selection, switch to the "Move Selected Pixels" tool (:MoveTool:). You'll then be able to resize the selection by clicking and dragging the control nubs.

1 minute ago, toe_head2001 said:

How do I know what size I am dragging it to?  Is there a video on this subject?

1 minute ago, everafterphoto said:

How do I know what size I am dragging it to?  Is there a video on this subject?

It shows that information in paint.net's status bar.

"Bounding rectangle size: ...."

bp-sig.png

• Rick Brewster locked and unpinned this topic