Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
imagemanipulator

Resize a selection

16 posts in this topic

I specifically downloaded Paint.net in hopes of being able to use the Lasso to select a specific area of an image and then resize that selected area by a certain percentage. My attempts at resizing the selected area only resulted in resizing the entire image. I am amazed that such an advanced application such as this is incapable of performing this operation. Or maybe I am missing something? I have searched the forum for this topic and found no tutorial showing how this might be done. 

1 hour ago, Shochi said:

Hi @imagemanipulator

you can use canvas size ( resize ) as you see in the Img:

image.png

Shochi, Canvas Size will change only the canvas size. 

Imagemanipulator, I do not know of a way to resize a selection by a specific percentage. When I resize a selection I usually use the "Move Selected Pixels" tool. I grab one of the knobs and pressing Shift at the same time I resize my selected area.

There is also a Rotate / Zoom option under Layers that can help you to resize an object if it is in its own layer but again there is not a percentage option.

Resize only works on entire canvas. If you want to resize a selection by a percentage, cut & paste the selection into a new image. Ctrl + C copies, Ctrl + Alt + V pastes into a new image.

you can almost do what you wanted, you can use the lasso tool to select what you want then click move selected pixels tool, then you can hold shift and resize it keep its aspect ratio, now i know thats not using a percentage but if you calculate the pixels so you can work out what number will be the right percent then you just resize to that.

Posted (edited)

Here's an example of what I am looking for. Let's say I have a huge nose and I would like to make it appear less imposing. I would use the lasso tool to outline it roughly. Then I could select the "Edit" menu and choose the Resize tool and specify "Resize -". The Resize tool would allow me to set the resize amount by 1-99% per click of the selected area I wish to resize. Then I could simply click inside the selected area and entire selected area would be resized. And, importantly, the pixels around my selected area would not be disturbed. In this way, I could resize my nose slightly and then save the photo. Yay!

Perhaps someone could create the "Resize Selected Area" plug-in that would allow this manipulation? 

Please?

I have been waiting and hoping for this forever.

It's the freaking 21st century FFS!

P.S. - In the responses above two of you posted an image. Not much help if it disappears. Anyone familiar with imgur.com?

Edited by imagemanipulator

Here's an example of what I am looking for. Let's say I have a huge nose and I would like to make it appear less imposing. I would use the lasso tool to outline it roughly. Then I could select the "Edit" menu and choose the Resize tool and specify "Resize -". The Resize tool would allow me to set the resize amount by 1-99% per click of the selected area I wish to resize. Then I could simply click inside the selected area and entire selected area would be resized. And, importantly, the pixels around my selected area would not be disturbed. In this way, I could resize my nose slightly and then save the photo. Yay!

It wouldn't look very good as there would be a transparent region all around the selection?

This can be done convincingly, using Pyrochild's Liquify plugin.

Plugins cannot change the selection but can resize the image within a selection - try Layers/Rotate and Zoom within a selection.

You don't need a plugin for this, paint.net has it covered. Select the nose and press M drag the corner nubs to resize.

6 hours ago, imagemanipulator said:

Please?

I have been waiting and hoping for this forever.

It's the freaking 21st century FFS!

Spare us the melodrama. You could READ the documentation http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/MoveTools.html

Right now, if you want a specific % when resizing a selection, you'll have to calculate it yourself.

Reporting the % in the toolbar would be interesting though, and would pretty much get you the precision you need. Even if it's a bit more manual labor, it's a step in the right direction.

Did you really think it was acceptable to address a Moderator of this site that way?

All of your future posts need approval before they will show up on the site.

One more outburst like that will get you banned for life and all of your content here will be deleted.

Due to a PM in the same vein, imagemanipulator has been suspended from the forum.

You spelled Narcissistic Personality Disorder wrong. You silly people are so full of yourselves. Lol.

And, your mother failed to teach you how to behave in public.

banzored.jpg

Trump's Twitter account is not something you should study for how to interact with people.