Installation fails - "System.IO.FileNotFoundException"

Hello, I looked through this forum for a solution but couldn't find one that addresses mine specifically (as far as I could tell).

I tried starting Paint.NET a couple days ago and it failed to start up. It gave me an error message of some kind that I don't remember anymore.

I think it was similar or the same as the error I'm getting now.

So I tried repairing the progam in Control Panel, which didn't work (I think I got an error message again) and then decided to uninstall it and restart my computer.

I downloaded the latest version (4.0.10) several days later and now it keeps giving me the error that I've screenshotted and attached to this post.

Everything seems to be going fine during the installation, until the error pops up at the very end.

Edit: the error specifically pops up after the extraction part of the installation.

Can anyone please help?

screenshot.jpg

Edited by mister

I believe that is Microsoft's fault. They broke something in one of their updates. For a small number of systems the external download is required.