paint.net 4.0.10 is now available!

Rick Brewster

Hi, Um yay for the new feature, but for those of, well me, who likes to the the scroll bars disappear when I'm they are not required (i.e how it was) is there a setting we can change?

Or can I go back to the old version somehow?

Thanks,

John

BTW there is a lingering bug that this change makes worse.  It used to be that on my laptop I could make an image of 1366x637 pixels and it would display at 99%,  but if I zoomed in it would go to 100% and no scroll bars (1 pixel wider and that's a different story).

Now it goes to the scroll bars when I click zoom in. But the problem is that even if I make the image of 1360x630, it still shows a slightly zoomed out image, with the odd line missing from the screen which makes things look odd.  It "reports" 100% zoom but it isn't, not QUITE.   If I zoom in and out then it was display 100% (no missing lines) but now it's got the scroll bars further shrinking the screen real-estate.

So now I have to make the image even smaller, an unknown amount because it incorrectly reports 100% when infact it is very slightly zoomed.

I use paint.net all the time, all day.

So it's hard to even establish what size I can make an image without this missing lines issue occurring.

John

Edited by circlularthinking

BTW I just added up the lost screen real estate, it's about 8 pixels top and bottom, which is an area equal to a square of 127 pixels.

So it's not an insignificant as it sounds, but for my purposes it also means a grey border around the image at both sides, left and right, which will impact my work.  I accept I'm being prissy, still if there is a way to get back "to the edge of the screen at actual 100% zoom" I'd appreciate it.

Ugh, annoyingly it also means that this screws up the display of many images I made in paint.net when viewed in paint.net

Display issues when zoomed in (I highlighted with red circles, those lines should be straight (it's a screenshot from desktop)). It mostly happens at 300% or 400% zoom and if pant.net window is maximised. Disabling hardware acceleration fixes the problem.

Something similar happens while you do a selection with (in this case) 400% zoom. Note the inside of the selection, certain pixels moving their position.

These two are regressions from 4.0.9.

Also, on a non related note, would be nice if paint.net would offer the possibility to compress JPEGs even less than what it currently does at 100% quality.

Edited by slash4real

So now I have to make the image even smaller, an unknown amount because it incorrectly reports 100% when infact it is very slightly zoomed.

If you want 100.0% zoom, then use Ctrl+0.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Display issues when zoomed in (I highlighted with red circles, those lines should be straight (it's a screenshot from desktop)). It mostly happens at 300% or 400% zoom and if pant.net window is maximised. Disabling hardware acceleration fixes the problem.

I've seen this "wiggling" a bit myself. I think I have an idea of what causes it. It does occasionally happen when HW acceleration is disabled, it's just much more difficult to catch.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Thanks, but that brings up scroll bars even if not needed shrinking the maximum work area further.

Will we be able to disable the overscrolling? I zoom in and out constantly and tend to work at a very small scale. I feel like this feature isn't really suited to my type of work.

I've downgraded in the meantime.

Edited by mero

mero, Are you using the Zoom tool? If so, it's bugged and will be fixed in an upcoming update.

"... and tend to work at a very small scale"

Can you elaborate on this?

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

mero, Are you using the Zoom tool? If so, it's bugged and will be fixed in an upcoming update.

"... and tend to work at a very small scale"

Can you elaborate on this?

I make pixel art. I tend to work with very small dimensions such as 60x60 and with high levels of zoom.

Example:

Zoom in 1600%

Change a couple pixels

Ctrl + B to review change

Rinse and repeat a 100+ times

Yea, i noticed that the zoom tool and ctrl+scroll will occasionally make it snap to the top left. My issue is with not being able to maintain a static position in the center. Being able to scroll past the bounds of the image seems like a great feature when the image is taking up the full screen(ex: 2400% zoom). However, I want my image to be centered when it is not taking up the full screen(ex: 400% zoom).

I understand if the feature may not be able to work that way.

Edited by mero

mero, what about pressing Ctrl+B twice to force centering?

Wow, I had no idea that Ctrl+B could also bring you back to the previous zoom. That is a pretty good workaround. Thanks!

What we need now is for Ctrl + Alt + B to do both steps in one handy shortcut ;)

I make pixel art. I tend to work with very small dimensions such as 60x60 and with high levels of zoom.

Example:

Zoom in 1600%

Change a couple pixels

Ctrl + B to review change

Rinse and repeat a 100+ times

Yea, i noticed that the zoom tool and ctrl+scroll will occasionally make it snap to the top left. My issue is with not being able to maintain a static position in the center. Being able to scroll past the bounds of the image seems like a great feature when the image is taking up the full screen(ex: 2400% zoom). However, I want my image to be centered when it is not taking up the full screen(ex: 400% zoom).

I understand if the feature may not be able to work that way.

I have the same problem  I have no idea why it drifts so badly now.

I hope that there is an option to turn overscroll off, or deal to it's unfortunate side effects, or go back, I'd rather be left in a developmental dead end than use a version quite so maddening to use as this overscroll one.

Also a regression from 4.0.9: if I pan the image by pressing the scrollwheel, sometimes  when I release it, paint.net still drags the image for a fraction of a second. This results in unwanted panning if you move your pointer fast enough.

This issue does not occur if you use the Pan tool with click 1, only the click 3 panning.

Will we be able to disable the overscrolling? I zoom in and out constantly and tend to work at a very small scale. I feel like this feature isn't really suited to my type of work.

I've downgraded in the meantime.

How do you downgrade?

How do you downgrade?

You will need to uninstall your current version and reinstall "Paint.net 4.0.9". Unfortunately, Paint.net doesn't allow you to download older versions from their site. You will need to use a search engine to find an older version. Make sure you download it from a reputable site to avoid viruses. I'm not sure if the admins would let me link a clean download here.

I really love Paint.net -- It's simply incredible!

But i won't like, i absolutely HATE overscroll!  It's horrendously annoying and happens when i don't even want it too.

I've been searching for about 12 minutes and i cannot find any downgrades to 4.0.9  --  Please consider adding a toggle for it..  It's killing this program for me.

I don't even use PDN on my main computer anymore.  I open my emulated windows since it still has 4.0.9 on it..  :(

PLEASE consider.

• Upvote 1