Is there a way to open save a corrupt Paint.NET file?

HELEN

Okay, so as lucky as I am, my computer went through a factory reset. So all my software is gone. The book I was working on for two years (illustrating it), also gone. I have only 19 pages saved in an external hard drive.

Long story short, the computer place I brought it to said that they were able to see my files from Paint.NET, but she said she tried everything. That's 15 pages I have to redo for the book. 

Is there a way to open the corrupt files and piece them together. I remember I lost a picture I was working on in Paint.NET when I first joined this forum and one of the mods helped me restore it.

So I want to give this one last shot before I redo the pages.

Thanks in advance!

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

Had the Paint.NET files gone corrupted by being deleted then restored? How are they different from the ones you encountered before when a mod was able to help? 

Files restored from deletion are prone to being incomplete and corrupt.

Doing a search led me to this  filerepair1 dot com site. It says it can repair standard image files .jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .tiff, .bmp, .png but with the structure of a PDN file, I think its a lot more complicated. I would not exactly recommend it just yet.

If you got a deadline for those illustrations, maybe some of the forum members could lend a helping hand.

I backed up many important files on an external drive and some to the cloud, including my .pdn masterpieces.

Edited by Ishi

Sorry, there's no way to recover a corrupted PDN file.

Your best solutions are, sadly, ones that can't be established in hindsight: save often, and have backups.

This is what I use for offsite backups (aka "cloud" backup): https://www.crashplan.com/

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I've also heard good things about Backblaze.com .

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Oh Helen, that's very sad to hear. You have my sympathies.

Rick is probably right about the files being unrecoverable. As a last hope, why not upload one or two files and let the wizards here have a look?

• Upvote 1

Yep. I will have to backup to the cloud and whatnot.

@Ego Eram Reputo:  Thank you. My computer is still at the shop and the files were already probably deleted. The person at the shop said they tried everything...I know they're not lying. They're good. A big sigh from me, but I have to keep on going. This isn't stopping me. :)

• Upvote 1

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

Zip them and add them as an attachment to a post (use the Full Editor)