Shape Folders

Humility

I find I can't use shapes because I have so many of them I can't do anything with any of them. Is there a way to create like shape folders or organize them somehow so I don't have to spend so long searching for shapes?

On 7/06/2016 at 10:03 AM, Humility said:

I find I can't use shapes because I have so many of them I can't do anything with any of them.

Delete some. Seriously.

It's kind of daft to have every Shape ever released loaded every time you start paint.net. Especially when the number you have loaded is interfering with your paint.net experience. People do the same thing with plugins. They load a billion of them in the hope that they will become better artists :roll: (or something).

On 7/06/2016 at 10:03 AM, Humility said:

Is there a way to create like shape folders or organize them somehow so I don't have to spend so long searching for shapes?

Yes. The order custom Shapes are displayed follows this strategy:

1. Loose *.xaml files in your /Shapes/ folder are shown first. They are listed alphabetically by the filename.
  2. The contents of a sub folder inside /Shapes/ is shown next. The contents are listed alphabetically by the filename.
  3. Further sub folder contents are again listed alphabetically. The folders themselves are shown in alphabetical order  ("BoltBaits Shape pack" comes before "EER Shapes").

yhsjjie_174.png

By creating a hierarchy of sub folders inside your Shapes folder you can determine the order your Shapes appear in the custom menu.

• Upvote 1

Oh thanks. Huh wonder if deleting some of these plugins would speed up my paint.net. I thought they didn't effect anything until use. I have 70 of them. Though I can't tell which are the ones I use and which aren't like. I use Color Balance not color balance+ but I don't see color balance+ in the folder.

Edit oh nevermind just noticed if I hover over the file it gives me the name of the plugin that caused it.

Edited by Humility

Oh thanks. Huh wonder if deleting some of these plugins would speed up my paint.net. I thought they didn't effect anything until use. I have 70 of them. Though I can't tell which are the ones I use and which aren't like. I use Color Balance not color balance+ but I don't see color balance+ in the folder.

Yes, absolutely it would. Well, it would speed up launch, at least. PdN checks every plugin for compatibility every time the program opens, so the more plugins you have the longer that process would take.

You can always pull plugins out of the root /Paint.NET/Effects folder and put them into a subfolder - such as /Paint.NET/Effects/Archive - where they won't be seen by the program but will be easily available if you find that you need them later.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.