Long time user with just 3 things I can't find a solution for. Can YOU?

drnstvns

Hello,

So I've been using Paint.net for years now (at least 6-7 years probably more I don't know-awhile) and I think I've gotten either used to anything that frustrated me or found a solution/plug-in/setting that fixed the issue except there are couple more I can't seem to resolve and I can't get used to them enough for them not to bug me so I am hoping someone else might have a solution and will be eternally grateful if so.

1) (and this is the main issue for me) The Effects Control Window. Is there any possible setting or way to make this window not pop up dead center of the image you are working on? Sometimes the effects can be subtle and that window blocks my view of it being applied and is complete before I can click/drag it out of the way so then the only way to see what affect the effect had is to "ok" it then undo/redo it over and over to see the difference or toggle slide the amount of effect applied up and down and watch. Either way you still have to move that window out of the way and I've always wondered -"Who thought it was a good idea to have the effect window pop up in the exact spot you don't want it to be-blocking the image so that you can't see the effect?" If you know how to make the default appearance location of the effect window a different location than what it is PLEASE let me know. Its such a annoying waste of time to every time have to click and drag it out of the way. THANK YOU

post-78565-0-73468300-1462872770_thumb.j

2) Erase a straight line I know how to use the eraser and I know how to use the line tool but I suck at being able to free hand a straight line and often I need to ERASE a straight line and in between the eraser always being round in shape rather than being able to choose a square eraser and me not being able to draw a straight line by hand I end up having to redo the actions over and over. SO-like when you draw a line using the line tool and hold down control which makes the line stay straight as you draw it is it possible to do something like that with the eraser? I've tried using the line feature and making the color of the line invisible thinking it might "cut" an invisible line across the two items I am trying to separate but no, just made an invisible line LOL so any ideas on how to erase in a straight line?

3) Unselect a layer auto selects the next layer This is probably my second biggest frustration and still the cause of quite a bit of confusion and frustration on my part. So when I am trying to see either what the image looks like with or without an added layer and I am trying to just quickly hide/unhide the layer to see the difference every time I hide it by unchecking its box it automatically selects the next layer so if I absent mindedly quickly click again to unhide that layer rather than unhide it hides the next layer then selects the next unhidden layer and I'll click again to bring it back but it hides the next layer and selects the next unhidden layer and so on. OMG it makes me crazy! Is there ANY way to make it so when you check or uncheck a layer in the layers window it just stays highlighting that layer whether its hidden or not? I'm not sure who benefits from Paint.net auto choosing the next layer for the user but I've never found that feature helpful and always have to go back and reselect the layer I am working with and then check it to unhide it again and it just seems like an unnecessary extra step. Like, ahem, other photo editing programs that feature an eye that you can just toggle on and off without it jumping to another layer it would be awesome if Paint.net could just stay where I'm working and not run off assuming I'm going to work on another layer of its choosing.

I know thats a lot of frustration but you gotta figure I NEVER post here in all those years and for there only to be three things that I would like to know if there are solutions too ya gotta admit that is some pretty great software. I have tried others but I always come back to paint.net. I use it at least 5 times a week and it is the first thing I install on new computers I get so I do love it and thank all you guys for doing such an amazing job but if you could help me resolve those few things I'd be in Paint.new heaven.

Thank-You-e1428690712225.jpg

THANK YOU !!!

signature.png

2) Erase a straight line I know how to use the eraser and I know how to use the line tool but I suck at being able to free hand a straight line and often I need to ERASE a straight line and in between the eraser always being round in shape rather than being able to choose a square eraser and me not being able to draw a straight line by hand I end up having to redo the actions over and over. SO-like when you draw a line using the line tool and hold down control which makes the line stay straight as you draw it is it possible to do something like that with the eraser? I've tried using the line feature and making the color of the line invisible thinking it might "cut" an invisible line across the two items I am trying to separate but no, just made an invisible line LOL so any ideas on how to erase in a straight line?

You almost had it.

When you select a transparent color you need to change the line drawing blending mode from Normal to Overwrite.

• Upvote 1

1) (and this is the main issue for me) The Effects Control Window. Is there any possible setting or way to make this window not pop up dead center of the image you are working on? Sometimes the effects can be subtle and that window blocks my view of it being applied and is complete before I can click/drag it out of the way so then the only way to see what affect the effect had is to "ok" it then undo/redo it over and over to see the difference or toggle slide the amount of effect applied up and down and watch. Either way you still have to move that window out of the way and I've always wondered -"Who thought it was a good idea to have the effect window pop up in the exact spot you don't want it to be-blocking the image so that you can't see the effect?" If you know how to make the default appearance location of the effect window a different location than what it is PLEASE let me know. Its such a annoying waste of time to every time have to click and drag it out of the way. THANK YOU

attachicon.gifeffectsmenu.JPG

This one I too am eagerly awaiting an answer to, , , ,

-c-

'Where's my plinth?'

3) Unselect a layer auto selects the next layer

Amen to that. I've griped about that behavior, as have others. It's supposed to be a feature to prevent making changes that can't be seen, but I've never understood why making changes to the wrong layer is a better alternative. I wish there were either a setting to disable that behavior, or that disabling and re-enabling a layer with no intervening steps would leave the layer enabled. I often toggle a layer off and on to make sure it's the layer I think it is.

The Effects Control Window. Is there any possible setting or way to make this window not pop up dead center of the image you are working on?

Not currently, sorry.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

In addition, I would also like to push my idea of "Merge Visible" function for the layers. Its been on other image editing software for ages.

Ishi,

Ctrl+A = select all

Ctrl + Shift + C = copy merged (layers)

Ctrl + Alt + V = paste into new image or Ctrl + Shift + V = paste into new layer.

REF: http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/EditMenu.html

Ishi,

Ctrl+A = select all

Ctrl + Shift + C = copy merged (layers)

Ctrl + Alt + V = paste into new image or Ctrl + Shift + V = paste into new layer.

REF: http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/EditMenu.html

Yes EER, I use the Copy Merged function, particularly useful to paste the combined stuff into a new file but it takes that many steps to do rather than automate such a task with 2 clicks. And I'm not a fan of shortcuts except for CTRL+A,C,V, Z and I.