Tutorial request Vintage images

I want to learn how to make images look delicate and vintage as bellow. I have a strong feeling those images was made far away from digital era... i don't know how those was made... but the way how those flowers have a delicate looking fascinate me, i would like know how to make at least something similar to that? I can notice there are many kind of saturation? I don't know as i'm a noob, bbut i can see they seem also to not have edges? I downloaded some rose shapes and tried to, but failed badly. Anyone here are skilled in making this kind of images? :)

Thanks

post-145560-0-34247300-1455354766_thumb.

post-145560-0-46539400-1455354785_thumb.

A simple way could be achieved like this.

1.  Upload your image - resize if necessary.

2.  Go to Effects - Photo - Soften Portrait.  On the example I use, I pushed the knobs all the way to the right.

3.  Then go to Adjustments - Hue/Saturation and play with the sliders.

esiToyK.png

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Thanks Eli and Pixey, i have learned this part, the saturation, but how to make the flowers as in the image look more like that... i'm using the rose shape and trying to colour it, i have no idea how to colour without it look plain color red also the borders(edges) of the shape draw is something im not able to soften to make them have shape but like the image above?

-----------

There is one plugin i found, called colorModulo in textures, when i click it make ramdon the edges colors i like that, does have any similar plugin which would color inside the image instead of only the borders?

Edited by kml

I think you may have to color the flower yourself, using different colors on new layers and adjust the strength of the colors.  Take a look at this tutorial, especially Step #9 which will show you how to use layers and add colors:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/28343-how-to-paint-mangaanime-in-paintnet/

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Ok i understand, i've looked at that tutorial before, really amazing thank you. I'm still looking forward that someone will make a full tutorial on how to make images like the above? Google does not show many tutorials outside of here this forum, or maybe i'm asking too much?

I think Pixey's tutorial is very good.

But if you can not find what you need, sometimes you can use techniques or adapt tutorials made for other programs. If you go to youtube and search for "Vintage effect  photoshop" or "dreamy fantasy photo efect", for example, you will find many tutorials from just  modifying a photo to drawing an image. Give it a shot!

Eli, Pixey thanks, yes that is a great tutorial :) i'm taking a look at other tutorials too, i confess i was completaly lost wanting to do everything so fast and excited as you see but dont know from where to start... i'll try calm down and follow some tutorials(i'm begginer, but want do sophisticated things hehe) :)  yes i want try all, i'll take a look at this dream plugin... i keep trying many effects for hours... and at the end didnt do anything nice only abstract stuff it frustrate me. Thanks Ladies.

Edited by kml

Gosh - I can relate to those feelings when I first began to use this program.  I wanted to do so much and really became very frustrated. 

Herewith a quick tutorial which I hope will be of help. 

1.  Using the Line/Curve tool draw the flower.  Make sure all the lines are 'connected' so

you can use the Magic wand to 'select' the areas of the flower later in order to color the stalk and petals.

TvP1aLo.png

2.  On a New Layer use the Line/Curve tool (#2 brush strength) draw the flower outline,

then use the magic wand to 'select it' and fill it with the bucket tool.  Do the same for the stalk and fill it with the same green you used

to draw the outlines.

N8iXfmk.png

3.  When you fill the flower head and stalk with the paint bucket, the color will not

meet the lines.  Now you must duplicate and merge down each layer until the color looks good.

l1uyvQh.png

4.  Gaussian Blur both the stalk and the flower head  

5.  You can also adjust the strength of the color you have made thus far, by lowering the opacity in the layers window.

N0juPgu.png

6.  With the magic wand 'select' the flower head and make a New Layer to add contrast/highlights and then Gaussian Blur.

QYkCdhR.png

7.  Make a new layer and add lines to give some depth.  Gaussian Blur.

E2ERMn5.png

8.  Use the Lasso Select to make a selection of one of the petals and with white make small dots in the area - then use Frosted Glass

to make the glitter.

5IjyYNi.png

9.   Use AA's Assistant on both the flower and the stalk.

10.  Select the flower head with the magic wand and make a New Layer above it.  With a large size brush add another pink

color just around the base of the flower and then Gaussian Blur.  Change the layer mode to something like Color Burn.

nicQoxw.png

11.  Once satisfied you can then flatten the whole image.  It's always wise to keep your work in .pdn as well, so that you can return to it

and make changes if needed.

• Upvote 4

30b8T8B.gif

dipstick, "I'm not into theses types of things" what do you call "these things"? :) I can see here are more images 3d-like tutorials indeed.

Pixey thanks for your time on doing that :) it really enouraged me because if you one day was like me and now reached this level you are now means i can archieve something someday :) . About the tutorial, seems nothing easy, sorry for requesting that... i'm playing with those lines now and reading many tutorials, i'll update my learning status when i manage to do something :) is that true it takes a lot of time(ages) to learn? Thanks everybody :)

@kml - Yes ...... it does take a long time and remember practice makes perfect.  I would suggest you do not try to do too much at first, as you will become frustrated.  I think you should stick to doing a few tutorials over, and over and over.  Then you will get a feel for how things work.  Here is a link to some video tutorials made by one of our members known as @Yellowman.  Although they are made with older versions of Paint.net, the same principles will apply.  https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=PDNing

Good Luck :) .

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif