Installing PDN under Wine in Linux/Mac.

Has anyone had any success installing PDN under Wine in Linux? I've tried multiple times with version 4.0.9 and even 3.5.11, with no luck at all. I thought v 4.0.9 would succeed, but it crashed while trying to install Dot.NET 4.6.1.

Wine is a hit or miss with most Windows s/w. I can install PhotoShop, but PDN seems to not want anything to do with it. Just curious if anyone had success in this and how they accomplished it. 

69unju0.gif

I've never tried it myself, but someone got v3.5 to work.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=19822

Are you using the latest version of Wine? I know the packages provided by many of the distros are still on v1.6.

The only thing I've ever installed under Wine was Age of Empires 2. That works great; even better than it does on Windows.

• Upvote 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Eureka, finally I managed to install a working version of PDN in Linux under Wine. I had to upgrade Wine to version 1.9.3, which allowed me to create a Win10 virtual drive. Unfortunately I was unable to install PDN version 4.0.9, I had to settle for version 3.5.11 instead. Oh well, at least I was able to get a working version of PDN in Linux. :beer:

gI56WMh.jpg

• Upvote 1

69unju0.gif

Actually it works pretty good in VMware if you apply the EnableSmoothMouseInput=False fix from here: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/28852-line-jumpsskips-to-top-of-window-while-drawing/#entry411991

Also, disable hardware acceleration from Paint.NET's settings. It runs much faster that way.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Yes and Oracle's Virtual Box works equally well in Linux. However, you still have to install Windows on the Virtual Machine and before you can launch a windows program, you have to boot up the Windows OS. The advantage to using Wine, is the launch time for the windows program is very short and only requires clicking on the shortcut. PDN version 3.5.11 runs very well with all the compatible plugins and only takes about 5 seconds to load in Linux under Wine.

Here is an example done all in PDN in Linux under Wine using midora's Animate Images plugin.

zQDOSxB.gif

• Upvote 1

69unju0.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Recently someone PM'd me about how to install PDN v3.5.11 in Linux under Wine. I decided to post instructions here in case anyone else wanted to know.

1) Install Wine. (get it from your distro's s/w repository)
2) Install playon linux. (get it from your distro's s/w repository)
3) Run Playon Linux and create a 32-bit XP virtual drive.
4) Use Playon Linux to install “dotnet40” (DotNet 4.0) on that virtual drive.
5) Use Playon Linux to install “gdiplus” on that virtual drive.  
6) Use Playon Linux to install PDN 3.5.11 (It's the latest PDN version I can get running) on that virtual drive.

That should create a PDN shortcut on your desktop that you can use to open PDN. You can also drag an image into the shortcut.
Good luck.

Edited by dipstick
  • Upvote 1

69unju0.gif

• 4 weeks later...

For those who had installed Paint.NET via PlayOnLinux only...

Is This 'Window 98-like' display appears too dull and not a happy ambient for you ?

f4053f39ca.jpg

Simply installing Luna Theme, and you'll get an ambient that closer to the native surrounding in Windows.

d848ebfc86.jpg

Open PlayOnLinux, choose Configure ( the one with gear icon )> Select the virtual drive where you installed Paint.NET.

Choose Install Component and then choose Luna Theme.

All the best !

post-136545-0-05564500-1466794731_thumb.

Edited by Nai

ba2ec8c.png

• 2 months later...

Installing paint.net v4.0.6 and .NET 4.6.x isn't an issue (I described how to do it in an earlier post. Let me know if you need me to elaborate).

However, getting it to run is a different story, as you need more than just the .NET Framework.  Complete support for Direct2D is lacking in Wine. Not to mention the missing UIAnimation APIs.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

• 1 year later...

I cannot find PDN 3.5.1 anywhere and 4.0.19 fails on PlayOnLinux with a SP1 not found error.

Has anyone been able to get 4.0.19 or other version to install on linux/wine/PON, or is 3.5.1 available from a trustworthy site somewhere?

I would dearly love to get this running on linux and finally ditch Windows.

Many thanks

Wolfy

9 hours ago, Wolfy said:

I cannot find PDN 3.5.1 anywhere ...

https://filehippo.com/download_paint.net/15781/

9 hours ago, Wolfy said:

... fails on PlayOnLinux ...

PlayOnLinux is junk. Seriously. The Wine developers don't recommend it, and for good reasons.

Sure, it makes configuring Wine easy for noobs, but it has its own issues and uses a very old version of Wine by default.

You're better off just learning the commands for Wine, and using Winetricks.

9 hours ago, Wolfy said:

Has anyone been able to get 4.0.19 or other version to install on linux/wine

Paint.net v4.x still doesn't run on Wine. See my earlier posts above; they're still accurate as of Wine 3.0.

bp-sig.png

Glad you got it sorted out Wolfy. PDN v3.5.11 is the latest version I can make run under wine. I wish I could make v4x run, but that seems to be impossible at the moment. The only alternative is to run Windows in a VM. I hate Windows and try to avoid it whenever I can. As for PlayOnLinux, I like and use it for the very few Windows-only programs I need...

To be truthful There are plenty of Linux programs out there to replace your old Windows programs. I am down to about 5 much needed Windows programs, which I have no problems running under wine or as a last resort, a VM. 

69unju0.gif

• 2 years later...

Support for Direct2D in Wine still has a ways to go, but if you know what you're doing, it's possible to open Paint.NET v4.0 now.

Obviously it's not really usable at this point, so stick with Paint.NET v3.5.

pdn4-wine.png

Edited by toe_head2001
  • Like 3

bp-sig.png

• toe_head2001 changed the title to Installing PDN under Wine in Linux/Mac.
  • 3 months later...

PDN 4.0.9 is years old at this point, so that's not too helpful.

WINE just still can't handle (emulate) the Windows Animation Manager (UIAnimation.dll).

You should focus on reporting this sort of thing to WINE. I am not doing any work to make Paint.NET compatible with WINE -- that's literally their job by definition.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hey Rick, serious question here. What would it take to fund a Linux build and some long term support, or at least polish off a few rough edges so we can get a modern version of PDN running through wine? I'd certainly pony up if there was a gofundme campaign, or participate in other supporting activities.

I figure its cheaper for me to fund a Linux port than to waste years of my life trying to learn that usability nightmare called GiMP.

What do you say mate?

6 hours ago, Wolfy said:

What would it take to fund a Linux build and some long term support, or at least polish off a few rough edges so we can get a modern version of PDN running through wine?

Rick has previously stated in this thread that he will not be doing any work on a Linux port of Paint.NET or WINE compatibility.

Paint.NET requires a bunch of things that the WINE developers have not implemented, you will have to ask them if it would be possible to fund an effort to add the missing pieces that WINE needs to run Paint.NET.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

9 hours ago, Wolfy said:

@toe_head2001 did you make any further progress with PDN v4.0? :)

I don't have enough knowledge of Direct2D to make proper patches for Wine.

9 hours ago, Wolfy said:

What would it take to fund [...] a modern version of PDN running through wine? I'd certainly pony up if there was a gofundme campaign, or participate in other supporting activities.

If you wanted to pay a consultant to work on Direct2D support in Wine, CodeWeavers charges a minimum of $4,500.  For a completely working Paint.NET, expect the price to be much higher.

How deep are your pockets?

bp-sig.png

14 hours ago, null54 said:

Rick has previously stated in this thread that he will not be doing any work on a Linux port of Paint.NET or WINE compatibility.

I won't be doing any work such as installing Linux and debugging it myself.

If someone were to say, "hey there's this one little code change you can do ...," -- that is to say, if someone else did the debugging etc. -- then I'm willing to consider it. So far, nobody has come to me with anything of the sort. People come in, ask for WINE support, I tell them what's needed, and they disappear ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Upvote 1

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg