How do I create 64-bit images?

I have the latest version of Paint.NET, which is supposed to automatically run in 64-bit mode if you have a 64-bit Windows installation and 64-bit capable hardware, which I checked time and time again to make sure that I have...

And I still have no idea how to generate a Deep Color image file. I know that my computer monitor can't even reach the full 8-bit per-[color-channel-per-]pixel gamut, but I still want to know for the future once 10bpp HDR monitors become more widely available, or more importantly, more affordable.

Edited by Amaroq Dricaldari

Paint.NET runs in 64-bit mode, but that doesn't mean it makes 64-bit images.  Those two terms mean very different things.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I am legitimately curious; Why would I want to buy overpriced, proprietary and inefficient software when I am on a forum for a completely different, free software that is continually being updated both by its creator and through third-party plugins?

Because IT can do what you want and paint.net can't?

Let me quote our esteemed leader, Rick Brewster*

CMYK support, or 16-bits per pixel support -- Not gonna happen. If you really need good software for working with images for printing, or need to work at a professional level, then I must honestly point you towards Adobe Photoshop.

This was the point I was trying to make. There are some things that paint.net simply isn't designed to do... this is one of those things.

You asked for a solution; I offered one. I'm sorry it wasn't the solution you were hoping for.

*from: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/2940-popular-feature-requests/

You're going to need specialized software and hardware for properly working with images like that. 

Special monitor, special graphics card (e.g. NVIDIA Quadro $$$$$$$$), operating system support, driver support, application support, etc.

And I'm not going to add support for something so incredibly niche. It would be an interesting technical challenge, which certainly earns it points. It pushes the envelope, which also gets it points. But it wouldn't get any use, and so many other things are more important, so it just isn't able to swim to the top of the priority queue.

Your principles aren't flawed, that's just the current reality of the situation. You're early to the buffet.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Special monitors are already here, and are in fact getting more affordable. Also, consumer-grade AMD graphics cards already support 10 bpp output (it is technically 10 bpcpp, or bits-per-channel-per-pixel), no multi-thousand-dollar professional cards required.

Nobody's arguing that this isn't happening.  Just that it's not happening yet.

Your principles aren't flawed, that's just the current reality of the situation. You're early to the buffet.

Besides, "Getting more affordable" doesn't mean "consumer-level", and it's a little unrealistic to expect that to bubble up to the top of a feature request list in a program that's (1) maintained by one person (2) as a side project.  GIMP has a team, so it's a lot more likely there.  I could be wrong, but it seems to me that Paint.NET isn't aiming to be an industry leader in feature parity with Photoshop, it's aiming to be a free image editor for the average PC user.

So, to expand on BoltBait's answer: buy Photoshop, or wait several years for high-bitrate images to become standard.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 2 years later...