Techniques for colouring gem shapes (for experienced users)

Red ochre

Red, I always say you are a super artist, not only due to your expertise but also because of your willingness to share your knowledge! Laie_54.gif

• Upvote 1

Kind words Maximilian, much appreciated! :)

(Most Pdn users silently make use of Pdn, the plugins and tutorials, so it's a real pleasure to get positive feedback. Thank you  :star: )

With some clipwarp and a thicker line:

PFAsGKf.png

• Upvote 3

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Great tutorial Red, thank you so much for sharing! All of your gems look fantastic :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: 

• Upvote 1

Oh, because I am allergic to things I do not want to do. *Cough*

- Michael J. Caboose

Red! What a fabulous outcome! The pink heart just does it for me. So many pretty outcomes. Great tute with techniques that will transfer to other images too. Thank you for taking the time to write the tute :star:

• Upvote 1
THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Kind words Maximilian, much appreciated! :)

(Most Pdn users silently make use of Pdn, the plugins and tutorials, so it's a real pleasure to get positive feedback. Thank you  :star: )

Very welcome! LAieA_008.gif (and keeping silent as one benefits from a service is very bad manners. Totally bad JC_shakehead.gif)

With some clipwarp and a thicker line:

PFAsGKf.png

The ever remarkable Clipwarp! LaieA_032.gif

Eli, Limon, Mottoman and Barbieq25,
Many thanks for the positive comments. I hope you find the techniques useful. ;)

Maximilian - that's just the way the world is. It makes me appreciate all the more those that take the time to join the forum and encourage others.
Many thanks to Rick and the moderators and admins for all their work keeping the forum alive too! B) :beer: :cake:

• Upvote 1

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

@Red...this wasn't as easy as I first thought. After studying your tutorial, I realize the possibilities are endless!

After tinkering for a day-and-a-half, this is what I came up with (and these are the decent ones...I had a few 'turkeys' that I scrapped):

facetedgem.png

I started to follow your tut and then just did my own thing.

pearcutgem.png

This one is an attempt at a photoshop tut I found online; no directions, just pictures only. That was a real challenge! (I used Cookies' PSEmboss on this one...thanks, Cookies!)

Thank you so much Red for writing this tutorial; it has given me a better understanding of some things in PDN that I was unsure of.    :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:         :)

Edited by lynxster4
re-hosted image
  • Upvote 6

WOW!! Those gems are beautiful lynxster. Great colouring of the facets. My favourite is the yellow one, you did great blending the straight edges.

Edited by Eli
  • Upvote 1

WOW!! Those gems are beautiful lynxster. Great colouring of the facets. My favourite is the yellow one, you did great blending the straight edges.

Thanks so much, Eli!   :mrgreen:   I'm glad you like them. 

Yes, blending the straight edges on the yellow one was a bit of a bear, but it worked out.    :)

Red ochre! I love this tutorial-creation. I found it very helpful.  9gut87cp.gif

Thank you so much for your effort and time.

I am inexperienced. So I'm a little baby.  animierte-smilies-babies-076.gif

• Upvote 1

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

Ah that's a technical bit. Have to try some if I get the effort. Its the shiny/polished types, not my cup of tea.

Interesting use of gradients and bevels to make the gem facets. 

How do you draw those hexagonal and polygonal shapes by the way?

Someone with enough effort, time, patience and technique might just make a gem galore out of this tutorial. 

Thanks Red Ochre.

• Upvote 1

Great results Lynxster4! B)
I'm glad you found some of the techniques useful and pleased you are experimenting with other ideas too.
Save those 'turkeys' and come back to them in a few weeks - you may see them differently. ;)

Seerose - You are a very capable Pdn user...and young at heart! ;)

Ishi - the gem shapes are all Lynxster's work (link in first post).

• Upvote 2

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Great results Lynxster4! B)

I'm glad you found some of the techniques useful and pleased you are experimenting with other ideas too.

Save those 'turkeys' and come back to them in a few weeks - you may see them differently. ;)

Thank you, Red. I'm glad you liked them.   :)

I will most definitely revisit my 'turkeys' at a later date.  I never delete anything!    :lol:

• 2 months later...

Thanks !

However I'm not sure about this one :

Nai, I think it looks great!  Just a little smoothing around the outer edges and you have a wonderful iridescent gemstone!    ;)    :)

• Upvote 1